SPRINGER, NM (BNM) – First Baptist Church, Springer, part of Northeastern Baptist Association, celebrated its 100th anniversary, Saturday, Oct. 23. The service began at 11:00 with a reception afterward.
Before the service, a meet and greet time welcomed representatives of area church members who attended, other guests and members. Area churches included First Baptist Church, Cimarron; the United Methodist Church, Springer; Assembly of God Church, Springer; First Baptist Church, Roy; Jubilee Christian Church, Springer; and Rayado Creek Family Fellowship, Rayado. Forty guests attended the celebration.
During the service, Rick Brittain, the Baptist Convention of New Mexico’s northern New Mexico regional strategist, congratulated the church on behalf of the BCNM. He presented a plaque to Molly Kelley, the oldest active church member - a member since 1958.
One hundred years ago, in the summer of 1921, the people of the Church of French Tract and the residents of Springer met and decided the community needed a church. Members in full fellowship and regular standing from the Church of French Tract withdrew membership and united with the new church in Springer. H.C. Reavis became the clerk pro tem at that time. The people voted that the name of the church would be First Baptist Church of Springer. They further adopted Pendleton’s Articles of Faith and Covenant.
First Baptist Church was founded Aug. 28, 1921. Members elected J.F. Anderson, H.C. Reavis, M.A. Higgins and Rufus Browning as the pastoral committee.
T.M. Blacklock was the church’s first pastor, followed by W.E. Dawn. The First Baptist Church of French, organized in 1920, dissolved upon the pending formation of First Baptist Church in Springer, where many of the French membership resided. The Springer church opened with 22 charter members recorded at the time. H.C. Reavis became the church’s first ordained deacon. Later, D.W. Garrett and Paul Elmore became deacons. Currently, Roy Mitchell serves as the church’s senior pastor.
First Baptist Church is a landmark in the small Colfax County town, among several historic buildings. The church’s ministry spans decades.